With Backpack

One World in One Lifetime

Archive for the ‘Niagara Falls’ Category

Surrounded by Falls

Posted by Heliocentrism on August 18, 2010

August 7, 2010

All Pictures

The Horseshoe Falls


Niagara Falls is the name of the cities on the US and Canadian side of Niagara Falls. They are two different cities in two countries with the same name, but they are right next to each other.

This was amazing. I cannot describe how wonderful this was. I would take this ride several times a year if I lived in Niagara Falls, New York or Niagara Falls, Ontario. All I can say is go and take a ride on the Maid of the Mist!

On The Maid of the Mist

The Canadian Side 

When you go, try to be the first to stand in the front of the boat on the top-level. That way you have a clear view of the falls. You will also be able to take pictures without being in anyone’s way or having anyone in your way since there is not enough space for too many people to get a good view. And you will be able to look down on the people on the lower level and watch them get drenched.

Rain ponchos, you have no power here!

There was too much water so I had to put my camera away. I stole Mark’s photos for this blog entry. He has a water-proof camera. There isn’t so much water that you will get very wet, but it is not good for a non-water proof camera.

me at 10 maybe….

Once or Twice Before

This was not my first time at Niagara Falls. My family took many trips here when I was a kid. But I don’t remember much of them.

I know that we did go on the Maid of the Mist, because my mom said we did. I also know that we saw the falls from the Canadian side with my sister and brother. I remember that I hit him and he picked me up and put me in a trash can that was raised off the ground on a pole and I couldn’t get down.

My mom on a tour walking under the falls

But I don’t remember the falls themselves.


All Pictures



How to get there:

You can enter Canada by land, air, or sea. But you’ll probably fly in unless you live near the border.

Go to the US and head north. Well, sometimes you will need to head south.

Needed Documents:

As a US citizen you will need either:

  1. a passport
  2. Passport Card
  3. Enhanced Driver’s License
  • Technically, you need one of these documents or just a passport to get into Canada, but in actuality the Canadian border control doesn’t always check them. You will need one to re-enter the US.  The US border control does a thorough check on each and everyone coming into the country.
  • Be prepared to wait in a long line to get back into the US.
  • You are not allowed to carry fruit from one country into the other.


  • Use 911 for the police, fire department, or to get an ambulance
  • Use 411 for information (This might cost money.)





  • It’s a big country. You’re going to need a car.

Maid of the Mist

How to get there:

  • Canada – 43°07’05.3″N 79°04’15.4″W
  • USA – 43°05’11.0″N 79°04’05.0″W

Remember to bring the required documents if you are crossing the US/ Canadian border.


Prospect Pt,
Niagara Falls, NY 14303


5920 River Rd,
Niagara Falls, ON L2E 3E4


  • US 716-284-8897
  • Canada 905-358-5781




  • +1USD elevator fee
  • Adult: 13.50USD;
  • Kids (6-12): 7.86USD;
  • under 5: free


  • Adult: 16.60CAN;
  • Kids (6-12): 9.57CAN;
  • under 5: free


  • Varies based on date and weather



  • There is a bathroom on the dock before you get your poncho but after you use the elevator.
  • Ask to have the Tourism Improvement Fee taken off your bill anytime you pay for anything in Niagara. Just look out for any odd looking taxes on your bills.



Posted in Canada, New York, Niagara Falls, Niagara Falls, Ontario, United States, The | Tagged: , , | 1 Comment »

%d bloggers like this: